The Animal Welfare League was founded in 1935 to stop the suffering of animals that seemed common place in Chicagoland. Our founding shelter, located at 6224 South Wabash Avenue in Chicago, still exists today as the only humane society on the south side of Chicago. Our Wabash shelter operates in an economically depressed area and provides valuable services to residents in the area such as shelter and care to homeless and needy animals, low cost clinic services to pet owners on a limited income and no-charge monthly pet food distribution.
The Animal Welfare League opened a second shelter in southwest suburban Chicago Ridge in 1974 to expand the care and services that were desperately needed in the south suburban area. In May 1992, Animal Welfare League moved into a state-of-the-art, full service shelter at 10305 Southwest Highway in Chicago Ridge, where we can accommodate the increase in the number of homeless and unwanted animals, housing the largest number of adoptable animals from a non-profit organization in the entire mid-west.
The Animal Welfare League is committed to helping every pet find a good home.